Level: Upper Intermediate ESL
Joe made a pretty penny building homes for his neighbours. But one summer everything seems to go wrong, and Joe wondered if he would have bad luck forever.
Read “A Run of Bad Luck” and picture the characters and settings through up-to-date words and expressions. Listen to the story being read by a North American narrator to learn natural pronunciation, delivery and rhythm of the language. Reinforce your understanding and practice the usage of the new expressions by completing the execises that follow the story.
This topic includes:
- 39 vocabulary items (mostly idioms, phrasal verbs, collocations)
- a two-page story
- 3 vocabulary building exercises
- a listening exercise
- an audio of the story read by a professional narrator
- a complementary reading and activity on North American good and bad luck beliefs
- new vocabulary items with definitions and sample sentences
- an answer key